How enabling is the environment for civil society in your country – and how do you measure it? An increasing number of tools have been developed to answer these questions. In the latest issue of Global Trends in NGO Law, ICNL examines eight assessment tools that seek to measure civil society’s enabling environment. The tools are:
- USAID’s Civil Society Organizations Sustainability Index
- CIVICUS’ Enabling Environment Index
- The Hudson Institute’s Philanthropic Freedom Index
- The Global Partnership Monitoring Framework, Indicator #2
- The CSO Contribution to the Global Partnership Monitoring Framework
- The Balkan Civil Society Development Network’s Matrix on the Enabling Environment for Civil Society Development
- ICNL/CIVICUS’ Enabling Environment National Assessments
- CIVICUS’ Civil Society Index-Rapid Assessment
The report compares these tools by objectives, methodologies, outputs, key dimensions and indicators, data sources, geographic scope and frequency of publication. The tools examined offer a wealth of information about the current state of civil societies’ enabling environments.
Global Trends in NGO Law is an online periodical published by ICNL, synthesizing key legal developments affecting CSOs around the world.
Click here to read the report.