Freedom of Expression Handbook
For Lawmakers and Law Reform Advocates
PUBLISHED: SEPTEMBER 2021
ICNL is pleased to share a handbook that supports lawmakers and law reform advocates to assess a domestic law’s compliance with international legal standards on the right to the freedom of expression. The handbook is a collection of checklists on key themes under the freedom of expression; each checklist asks the user to consider key questions related to the freedom of expression and provides recommendations for best practices to protect the freedom of expression. The checklists also cite useful references from various United Nations bodies and the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights.
WHAT TOPICS DOES THE TOOLKIT COVER?
- General principles of freedom of expression
- Access to information
- Prohibited speech
- Criminal libel and defamation
- Online content regulation
- Media and freedom of expression
- Access to internet
- The right to privacy: surveillance
- Data protection
WHY IS THE TOOLKIT USEFUL?
- The toolkit helps lawmakers and law reform advocates to understand best practices for protecting the right to freedom of expression under international law.
- It assists lawmakers and law reform advocates to ensure that national laws align with international best practices on the freedom of expression.
- The handbook provides references to other resources to further deepen lawmakers and law reform advocates’ knowledge of international legal standards governing the freedom of expression.
WHO CAN USE THE TOOLKIT?
- The toolkit is designed primarily for lawmakers and law reform advocates as well as other stakeholders interested in civic space legal reforms.