LAWS OF MALAYSIA
PREVENTION OF TERRORISM ACT 2015
An Act to provide for the prevention of the commission or support of terrorist acts involving listed terrorist organizations in a foreign country or any part of a foreign country and for the control of persons engaged in such act and for related matters.
WHEREAS action has been taken and further action is threatened by a substantial body of persons both inside and outside Malaysia which is prejudicial to the security of Malaysia or any part of Malaysia:
AND WHEREAS Parliament considers it necessary to stop and prevent such action:
NOW, THEREFORE pursuant to Article 149 of the Federal Constitution, IT IS ENACTED by the Parliament of Malaysia as follows:
1. (1) This Act my be coted as the Prevention of Terrorism Act 2015.
(2) This Act comes into operation on a date to be appointed by the Minister by notification in the Gasette.
2. (1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires –
“district, mukim, town or village” means the land included in any district, mukim, town or village under the provisions of any law for the time being in force relating to land;
“Register” means the register kept by the Registrar under section 22;
“Board” means the Minister charged with the responsibility for home affairs’
“registered person” means a person whose name is entered in the Register;
“listed terrorist organization” means any specified entity declared under sections 66b and 66c of the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act 2001 [Act 613];
“Inquiry Officer” means an officer appointed by the Minister under section 9;
“Registrar” means the Registrar of Criminal appointed under section 3 of the Registration of Criminal and Undesirable Persons Act 1969 [Act 7];
“terrorist act” has the same meaning assigned to it by the Penal Code [Act 574].
(2) References to the supervision of the police shall be construed as reference to the obligations imposed upon persons subject to police supervision under section 296 of the Criminal Procedure Code [Act 593].
POWERS OF ARREST AND REMAND
Arrest and production before Magistrate
3. (1) A police office may without a warrant arrest any person if he has reason to believe that grounds exist which would justify the holding of an inquiry into the case of that person under this Act.
(2) When a person is arrested under subsection (1), the case shall be referred by the police officer to the Public Prosecutor for direction not later than seven days from the date of arrest.
(3) any person arrested under subsection (1), shall unless sooner released, be taken without unreasonable delay, and in any case within twenty-four hours (excluding the time of any necessary journey) before a Magistrate.
(4) The police office making an investigation pertaining to a person arrested under this section shall cause a copy of the complete report of the investigation to be submitted to-
(a) an Inquiry Officer; and
(b) The Board.
within such period as may be prescribed by the Minister by regulation made under this Act.