ICNL and the European Center for Not-for-Profit Law (ECNL) are pleased to announce TEDxLiberdade: The Power of Together on April 23, 2014 in São Paulo, Brazil.
Fourteen speakers will demonstrate the power of civil society; among them are:
- Ruslana Lyzhychoko, a World Music Award and Eurovision Song Contest winner from Ukraine. Ruslana is well-known for her commitment to social issues and was a leading figure in the recent Ukrainian protest movement. She was named one of the top 10 most influential women of 2013 by Forbes magazine.
- Isadora Faber, who launched an online campaign to improve her school when she was 13, and has since sparked a nationwide conversation on the right to public education. Newsweek has named her “Brazil’s Bravest Blogger.”
- Kasha Jacqueline Nabagesera, who courageously advocates for LGBTI rights in Uganda despite great risks posed by the country’s ban on homosexuality.
- Bruno Torturra, who brought the sights and sounds of Brazil’s 2013 protests to the world’s attention with his group of citizen-journalists, Midia Ninja.
- Xiao Qiang, a Chinese human rights activist and an expert on online media.
- Feliciano Reyna, one of Venezuela’s most prominent HIV/AIDS activists and a global advocate for civil society freedoms.
TED is a nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Two annual TED conferences bring together the world’s most fascinating thinkers and doers, who are challenged to give the talk of their lives (in 18 minutes or less). In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED- like experience, sparking deep discussion and connection.
This Global Update is prepared by the International Center for Not-for-Profit Law through the Civic Space Initiative, implemented in partnership with ARTICLE 19, CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation, and the World Movement for Democracy.