General Comment 37: A Short Guide for Civil Society
This tool offers detailed guidance for civil society organizations on using General Comment to help advance freedom of peaceful assembly through advocacy, awareness-raising, and training efforts at the local, national, and regional levels.
Activists and experts can use the General Comment to engage in research, advocacy, awareness-raising, and training to advance respect for assembly rights. Ideas on how to use the General Comment include the following:
ASSESSING COMPLIANCE WITH THE GENERAL COMMENT
- Analysis of legal frameworks and official practices.
- In-depth examination of recent assemblies.
- Comparative studies of regional practices.
- Monitoring of government practices.
CONDUCTING ADVOCACY WITH KEY ACTORS
- Advocacy with government officials.
- Litigation before national and regional courts.
- Submissions to UN Human Rights Committee and Special Rapporteurs.
- Development of protocols with local authorities.
- Revision of notification and authorization procedures.
- Guidance and training for law enforcement officials regarding policing.
- Outreach to Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and platforms.
SUPPORTING TRAINING, EDUCATION, AND AWARENESS-RAISING
- Public awareness-raising regarding problematic laws and official practices.
- Training for civil society on the General Comment.
- Training for journalists on applicable standards regarding assembly.
- Incorporation of the Comment into legal education curricula.
- Specific outreach to marginalized communities.