General Comment 37: A Short Guide for Civil Society
This tool offers detailed guidance for civil society organizations on using General Comment to help advance freedom of peaceful assembly through advocacy, awareness-raising, and training efforts at the local, national, and regional levels.
Read more about General Comment 37 and explore further resources here.
Activists and experts can use the General Comment to engage in research, advocacy, awareness-raising, and training to advance respect for assembly rights. Ideas on how to use the General Comment include the following:
ASSESSING COMPLIANCE WITH THE GENERAL COMMENT
- Analysis of legal frameworks and official practices.
- In-depth examination of recent assemblies.
- Comparative studies of regional practices.
- Monitoring of government practices.
CONDUCTING ADVOCACY WITH KEY ACTORS
- Advocacy with government officials.
- Litigation before national and regional courts.
- Submissions to UN Human Rights Committee and Special Rapporteurs.
- Development of protocols with local authorities.
- Revision of notification and authorization procedures.
- Guidance and training for law enforcement officials regarding policing.
- Outreach to Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and platforms.
SUPPORTING TRAINING, EDUCATION, AND AWARENESS-RAISING
- Public awareness-raising regarding problematic laws and official practices.
- Training for civil society on the General Comment.
- Training for journalists on applicable standards regarding assembly.
- Incorporation of the Comment into legal education curricula.
- Specific outreach to marginalized communities.