SAME SEX MARRIAGE (PROHIBITION) ACT, 2013
An Act to prohibit a marriage contract or civil union entered into between persons of same sex, solemnization of same; and for related matters.
ENACTED by the National Assembly of the Federal Republic
1. (1) A marriage contract or civil union entered into between persons of same sex:
(a) is prohibited in Nigeria; and
(b) shall not be recognised as entitled to the benefits of a valid marriage.
(2) A marriage contract or civil union entered into between persons of same sex by virtue of a certificate issued by a foreign country is void in Nigeria, and any benefit accruing there-from by virtue of the certificate shall not be enforced by any court of law.
2. (1) A marriage contract or civil union entered into between persons of same sex shall not be solemnized in a church, mosque or any other place of worship in Nigeria.
(2) No certific8Je issued to persons of same sex in a marriage or civil union shall be valid in Nigeria.
3. Only a marriage contracted between a man and a woman shall be recognized as valid in Nigeria.
4. (1) The Registration of gay clubs, societies and organisations, their sustenance, processions and meetings is prohibited.
(2) The public show of same sex amorous relationship directly or indirectly is prohibited.
5. (1) A person who enters into a same sex marriage contact or civil union commits an offence and is liable on conviction to a term of 14 years imprisonment.
(2) A person who registers, operates or pa1iicipates in gay clubs, societies and organisation, or directly or indirectly makes public show of same sex amorous relationship in Nigeria commits an offence and is liable on conviction to a term of 10 years imprisonment.
(3) A person or group of persons who administers, witnesses, abets or aids the solemnization of a same sex marriage or civil union, or supports the registration, operation and sustenance of gay clubs, societies, organisations, processions or meetings in Nigeria commits an offence and is liable on conviction to a term of 10 years imprisonment.
6. The High Court of a State or of the Federal Capital Territory Jurisdiction. shall have jurisdiction to entertain matters arising from the breach of the provisions of this Act.
7. In this Act:
“”marriage”” means a legal union entered into between persons of opposite sex in accordance with the Marriage Act, Islamic Law or Customary Law;
“”Court”” means High Court of a State or of the Federal Capital Territory;
“”same sex marriage”” means the coming together of persons of the same sex with the purpose of living together as husband and wife or for other purposes of same sexual relationship;
“”witness”” means a person who signs or witnesses the solemnization of the marriage; and
“civil union” means any arrangement between persons of the same sex to live together as sex partners, and includes such descriptions as:
(a) adult independent relationships;
(b) caring partnerships;
(c) civil partnerships;
(d) civil solidarity pacts;
( e) domestic partnerships;
(f) reciprocal beneficiary relationships;
(g) registered partnerships;
(h) significant relationships; and
(i) stable unions.
8. This Act may be cited as the Same Sex Marriage (Prohibition) Act, 2013.